Will God forgive every sin you commit? If you are His child, the answer is, "Absolutely!" He loves you and His forgiveness is powerful enough to cover over every sin. Matthew 9:6 says this: "But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins." Here is a fun Bible object lesson for your kids to learn about this important verse.
Here's what you do:
The object you will use for this lesson will be a box or bottle of All Laundry Detergent. Make a new label for the front of the box which says, "The sin cleanser that is packed full with the power to forgive." However, do not cover up the word "All".
Ask the following questions to help stimulate discussion:
1. What am I holding? (Wait for responses.) That's right. It's a box of All Laundry Detergent.
2. What is laundry detergent used for? (Wait for responses.) That's right. It cleans our clothes.
3. If you look closely, my bottle of ALL is a special bottle. I am pretending that this bottle is a sin cleanser that is packed full with the power to forgive. It sure would be nice to be able to put ourselves inside a washer so we could get rid of all the yucky feelings we feel after doing something wrong. But we don't need to do that, do we? How does someone really get rid of his or her sins? (Wait for responses.) That's right. We get rid of our sins by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. Ask a child to read Matthew 9:6.
5. Say the following: This verse is important to remember. We should never be afraid to ask God's forgiveness. Let's learn a little more about this portion of Scripture and how it teaches us to live our lives for God. Here are 3 important points about this truth.
Point 1: Jesus is ALL POWERFUL. There is nothing He can't do and there is absolutely no sin you could ever do that He will not forgive as long as you really and truly ask Him to forgive you.
Never forget that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. His power to forgive your sins is endless. And now He lives in Heaven always ready to forgive you when you ask.
Point 3: Is there a sin you need to ask forgiveness for? Pray a prayer. Ask Him now. He is here right now with all the power to forgive you. Let Him give you His perfect peace that goes beyond your understanding. Jesus is powerful and He loves you.
This 3-Point Bible Object Lesson for Kids was inspired by my reading of C.H. Spurgeon's devotional on Matthew 9:6 from his book Morning and Evening. You too can be inspired by your favorite Christian authors and come up with your own 3-Point Sermon for Kids.