Electricity is one of the most vital requirements in daily life. It light ups our lives by providing us with all the comforts of life. When you light a bulb, switch on a TV, the main driving force that makes them to glow and function properly is electricity. Earlier DC supplies were used in day today life, but now the main kind of electricity used is alternating current or Ac.
Device that is used for supplying electricity to one or more than one electric loads is known as an Ac power supply. This term is also functional for those devices that are used for converting one form of electrical energy to the other and vice versa. For example, it converts from electrical energy to mechanical energy or chemical energy and mechanical energy or chemical energy to electrical energy. For keeping control over the output current, a regulated power supply is used.
A power supply obtains its energy from various sources. Depending on its design, it can be illustrated as:
1. Devices or appliances meant for electrical energy transmission. The most commonly used device is the one that converts Ac voltage to Dc voltage; it is popularly known as Ac power supply.
2. Devices that are used for storage of energy such as fuel cells and batteries.
3. Electromechanical devices such as generators as well as alternators.
4. Panels used for generating solar energy.
An Ac power supply can be put into operation as a standalone gadget or as an integral and primary device which is hardwired to the load. Constraints that are responsible for lower electricity supply or conditions that affects power supply are cited below:
1. Amount of current and power supplied by them
2. Stability of the output device in different load conditions
3. Back up provided by the particular machine
A power supply device can be categorized as:
1. Line-frequency – it is also known as conventional power supply device. It has got a relatively simple design that makes it bulky. It is heavy because of the large transformers and heat sinked circuitry.
2. Switching power supplies – it is smaller and more efficient.
An Ac power supply obtains its voltage from a wall channel better known as wall output. Its working mechanism can be described as the progress of electrical charge in a reverse direction. It is expanded as alternating current. It is basically used for supplying power to commercial buildings and residences.